Shea Adelson of Mindful-Mama.com just posted her answerto the question, “What do you miss most from your pre-mom life?” Despite the negative-sounding topic, What Do You Miss Most is a good read. When I tried to answer the question for myself, it took some time to come up with an answer, but not because I miss so much… because I miss so little. All I could think of was all the ways that my life is richer, now that I’m “Mama”. Besides the two little treasures that now live with me, here are some ways I’ve been blessed since becomming a mother:
- Friendship – sharing the bond of motherhood has sparked many new friendships and deepened old ones.
- Creativity – creating alongside my children truly released my inner artist, launching me into hobbies like crochet, knitting and sewing.
- Love for nature – discovering the world again through their eyes and with inspiration from natural-based homeschooling styles, I’ve come to love and celebrate the seasons.
- Simplicity – before kids I had no appreciation for “less is more.” Our entire lifestyle has slowed and centered due to the catalyst of our children.
- Real Living – less TV, more doing. Less small talk, more laughter. Drastically cutting down the TV and computer in our home has made way for more relating and LIVING all day long.
I could go on, but you get the idea. Oh, and my answer to “What do you miss most?” is couple social time. We used to entertain other couples for movies, card games, dinner, etc. Now that we all have kids, those functions are rare indeed. But, I know there will be time for all that again, soon enough .
What do you miss most? What did you gain?